Shortly before 2:00 PM this afternoon, a resident from Glen Road called the business line at Topsfield Fire requesting assistance with ventilating his house from equipment running inside. Ambulance 1 arrived with firefighters John Boyle and Jonathan Hallinan meeting the occupant outside. The first occupant was complaining of dizziness after approximately 30 minutes of exposure and the second had no symptoms, but showed elevated blood levels of Carbon Monoxide(SPCO). While Firefighter Boyle initiated Advanced Life Support on the patients outside, Firefighter Hallinan entered the structure, shortly upon doing so finding elevated levels of Carbon Monoxide over 300 parts per million(PPM). Immediately exiting the structure, they requested additional manpower to the scene as well as two ambulances to treat and transport the patients at the ALS (paramedic) level. Firefighters used self-contained breathing apparatus to operate inside the building to protect themselves from the poisonous gas. Both occupants were transported to an area hospital in stable condition by Northeast Regional Ambulance and Middleton Fire Department. After removing the source of the carbon monoxide, determined to be a gasoline powered pressure washer, the building was purged with fresh air with Positive Pressure Ventilation. Typical levels of CO in a building should be 0 PPM and SPCO levels should also be 0 in the typical non-smoking person’s blood stream. Chief Jen Collins-Brown advises everyone to make sure their carbon monoxide detectors are always in working order and refrain from running gasoline powered equipment or anything using an internal combustion engine in poorly ventilated spaces.
You are here: / / Topsfield FD Responds to Carbon Monoxide Incident