Ronald Giovannacci, Fire Chief
27 High St.
Topsfield, MA 01983
For Immediate Release
Tuesday, Oct. 11, 2016
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Topsfield Fire Department September Newsletter
TOPSFIELD – During the first month of fall, the Topsfield Field Department responded to several fires and medical calls while preparing for the town’s annual fair. Chief Ronald Giovannacci is pleased to share what firefighters were up to in September.
The Topsfield Fire Department responded to 303 incidents:
- Fire: 7 (totaling $65,500 in property loss)
- Medicals: 33 (including two motor vehicle crashes and three overdoses)
- Hazardous Conditions: 7 (including wires down, gas leaks and chemical spills)
- Public Services: 50 (including child passenger seat installations, lockouts and fire drills)
- Inspections: 175
- Good Intent Calls: 6
- Alarm Calls: 21 (including fire, sprinkler and carbon monoxide alarms)
- Mutual Aid: 4 (including two automatic aid responses, one station cover assignment and one second-alarm scene response)
Topsfield received mutual aid responses from surrounding communities on eight occasions. There were 73 emergency calls in September, with 33 incidents happening between the hours of 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.
In addition to responding to emergencies, members of the fire department met with Northeast Regional Ambulance staff to discuss ongoing operations. Chief Giovannacci and Capt. Jen Collins-Brown met with officials from Manchester-by-the-Sea to discuss each town’s structure and level of service.
Topsfield firefighters also took part in a state-wide conference call regarding the ongoing drought as it relates to fire safety, and took part in a Sept. 11 memorial ceremony in town.
The Massachusetts State Police Bomb Squad was contacted for a box of old fireworks that were turned in for proper disposal.
At the end of the month, members of the department began fire prevention and emergency planning in preparation for the Topsfield Fair, which runs from Sept 30. to Oct. 10.
Chief Giovannacci and the Topsfield Fire Department thank the community and visitors of Topsfield for their continued support.