For Immediate Release:
Chief Jen Collins-Brown reminds residents to guard against deadly carbon monoxide poisoning, especially in the cold winter months. This morning, the Essex County Regional Emergency Communication Center dispatched units to a house on High Ridge Road for a carbon monoxide detector activation. Once units arrived, they identified readings of carbon monoxide within the home ranging from 20-60 parts per million (PPM). These levels are relatively low but we’re high enough to activate the detectors, alerting the occupants of the danger while bringing an emergency response to identify and begin mitigation the hazard. The source was determined to be a gas furnace malfunctioning. Residents should keep functioning carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors in their homes as required by MGL 148 sec. 26 1/2F, also known as “Nicole’s Law” named for 7-year-old Nicole Garofalo, who died in January 2005 when a heating vent in her house was blocked by snow drifts, allowing carbon monoxide to accumulate in the home.