For immediate release:
Chief of the Department Jenifer Collins-Brown reports that Topsfield Fire units responded to a potentially serious Carbon Monoxide (CO) incident last night, and reminds residents to keep detectors working and regularly service heating appliances. Shortly after 9:00 PM last night, TFD was dispatched to a home on Rowley Bridge Road where a resident reported an activation of her CO detector. Ambulance 1 arrived followed by Engine 3 some minutes earlier with two members on each truck. A 1’s crew greeted the occupant on the front lawn where she had evacuated to, she reported not feeling sick, which allowed the crew to continue on to the building to investigate the alarm upon entering the building, Firefighters Ahern and Winfrey metered low levels of CO on the first floor, but levels increased over 100 parts per million as they reached the basement. Engine 3 was directed to enter the building with SCBA and set up a ventilation fan while they worked through the house to locate a source. Firefighters Hallinan and McGlauflin found the source to be a malfunctioning boiler in the basement, near which levels of CO were nearing 300 ppm. The boiler was shut down and red tagged, while the rest of the building confused to be ventilate. The occupant refused the need for medical treatment and transport and crews were able to leave the home with no detectable CO inside while a technician worked on the boiler. Chief Collins-Brown reminds everyone to remember to maintain and service fossil fuel burning equipment regularly and to keep CO detectors on every level of a home and within 10 feet of every bedroom door as per Nicole’s Law. Detectors should have battery back-ups and be no older than 7 years from their date of manufacter.