Topsfield Fire Chief Jen Collins-Brown reminds residents and all fairgoers to remember to practice good fire safety with the coming colder weather and seasonal increase in population in town. Topsfield Firefighters responded to two fires this past week already that we’re caught just in time to prevent a tragedy. Early Friday morning at approximately 12:30 a 911 caller reported a possible fire in a camper at 207 Boston Street, the fairgrounds. Companies arrived minutes later and found that a Good Samaritan had removed a malfunctioning space heater that was on fire and would, without certainty, have caused a fire had it not been addressed. The camper was ventilated of smoke and damage was confined to the space heater. Today, the fire operations building received a report from a police officer on detail in the midway of a fire in a food booth at the top of the midway near the pig barn. Detail firefighters were dispatched with Engine 3 and Firefighters Harper and Miserandino on foot patrol in the midway. FF Harper and Miserandino arrived with a size-up reporting a fire on a fryolator extending up into the hood vent system. Firefighter Harper quickly located a fire extinguisher in the booth and attacked the fire, limiting spread to any adjacent booths or structures and confining the flames to the frying oil. Topsfield Health Agent Wendy Hansbury responded to ensure the booth was back up to compliance before re-opening. Chief Collins-Brown reminds all members and visitors to Topsfield to be safe with any cooking materials, and cover a stovetop fire with a lid if available, do not use water to extinguish it. With the seasonal temperatures now creeping lower and lower especially in the evenings space heaters and other auxiliary heating appliances like fireplaces and wood stoves are being used to take the chill out of the air remember to not overload outlets with heating devices and keep a 3 foot buffer zone around any space heater or wood burning heat device. Also make sure any chimneys being used have been cleaned and inspected in the last year to prevent a chimney fire. Lastly, Chief Collins-Brown would like to express her appreciation for good teamwork between police, fire, and EMS during the fair as well as cooperation from fair staff and administration. It is only through close teamwork and good preparation that emergencies like his are rare in occurrence and typically controlled before evolving into a serious tragedy.
You are here: / / Fire Chief Reminds Citizens and Fairgoers to Practice Fire Safety